Sunday, September 5, 2010

"Favorite" time of the year

It is far too hard for me to pinpoint a favorite time of the year to be on the farm. There is spring time with baby calves on the ground, black cows in the snow, kidding time for the goats, daily evening feedings with the family and much more, but what comes to me now as my favorite is county fair time. I have been at my counties fair every year since I can remember. This September will be my first year missing the Charles County Fair. The realization of missing the actual fair hasn’t hit me yet, but missing the preparation is killing me!

Prepping the calves for the county fairs at the Mohler Farm

It’s been quite hard to get a hold of my family lately. With fair time approaching my family is busy walking the sheep and goats, rinsing the cattle and walking the pigs. This year my brother, Colby, will be exhibiting 2 sheep, 2 market goats, 2 steers, and 3 pigs. In other words, my family is very busy right now! In addition to helping my brother prep his livestock, my Mom and Dad will also be taking some breeding stock to the Charles, St. Mary’s and Prince George’s County Fairs.

Colby with his 2 show steers
Yes, prepping the animals is very important in order to do well at the fairs, but it is also my favorite part. It may seem stressful to some, and it certainly is at times, but rushing home from work or school to meet the family in the barn is quite enjoyable. A general evening in the barn consists of my Mom walking the sheep and goats, my Dad feeding, Colby and I doing miscellaneous tasks; cleaning stalls, rinsing the steers and heifers, walking the pigs and whatever else may need to be done, and my sister, Jesse, helping out where need be; watering, laundry, etc.

A day in the barn at the Mohler Farm

In general, the best part of being involved in agriculture is the family atmosphere. Whether it’s at a 4-H meeting, the grocery store, or preparing the livestock for the county fairs, it’s a general understanding that the agriculture community is a family atmosphere. After all, 98% of today’s farms are family owned and operated. In closing, thank a farmer today. It’s their way of life, not just a job.

Good luck to all fair participants!

1 comment:

  1. Erin, what an impressive young lady you are. If I were your age again, I would do something very similar. You go gettem girl!
    Love your pictures-Amy at Verde Farm

    ReplyDelete